Contract Full time, permanent Salary £39,000 - £42,350 Holiday 28 days + bank holidays Location Old Street, London Start date ASAP Application deadline 16/05/2019 - but if we find the right person before this date, we will hire them, so apply fast! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Child.org are looking for an ambitious leader to grow our fundraising income in this new senior role. Be the force behind our disruptive presence and help the team achieve great things
For someone keen to show their capabilities in the sector, this role is a dream opportunity. You’re joining a hugely ambitious organisation, unencumbered by old ways of thinking, ready to innovate and flexible enough to be moulded. If you are someone who wants to put their stamp on something and shape it, this is your chance.
With a heavy focus on continually improving the impact of our programming work, we’ve invested in our Nairobi team, and run fantastic programmes in Kenya and Sierra Leone that improve the lives of children. We’ve been shifting to a place where we invest in new innovative approaches that need testing and piloting, in order to identify where scaling our activity could have a real impact. That makes us an exciting organisation to support.
We've got good foundations in some core fundraising areas. We run a high-quality, gruelling bike ride in Sub-Saharan Africa. We've also created a regular giving plan based on 0% of your money going to Africa because we invest it in enterprise activity first, to build diverse, sustainable income streams. We like to push the boundaries with what we do. The quality of what we produce, and the relationships we build set us apart. Take a look at our Team Mum campaign – supported by UK Aid Match – to see the type of quality comms we strive for.
Beyond corporate partnerships and challenge events, broader fundraising is relatively new to us. This role offers an opportunity to enhance what we already do well and, crucially, drive forward new fundraising income streams.
You'll need to come with a good understanding of the importance of brand and how it underpins great fundraising. What we say and do comes from a clear understanding of our approach and a commitment to our values. As we grow our marketing activity it will be important to remain true to who we are and what we believe, for example, we don't hide admin costs at Child.org - we're proud of them and what they allow us to achieve.
We are driven by our mission. We know that to have the greatest impact possible, it is essential our programmes have the resource to make good stuff happen. We approach income generation across three areas: Fundraising, Grants and Enterprise. Enterprise is our heartland and our Grants strategy, sitting within our programming team, is moving fast.
Your role will focus on the fundraising element of our income generation strategy. Working collaboratively with the Enterprise and Grants team, you will lead on developing a contemporary Fundraising strategy, drawing on our powerful brand, exciting products and capable team. We're looking for someone who can bring in quick wins to boost income now whilst delivering long-term growth over time.
Underpinning your Fundraising strategy will be a clear, coherent marketing & communications approach. The primary focus here is to extend our reach and mobilise greater financial return.
You’ll need to do all this with a limited budget, tiny supporter database and no magic wand. But you will have an organisation ready to back you and a team bursting with ideas, drive and the capacity to make amazing things happen.
Our leaders need to be inspirational, bringing enthusiasm, energy and conviction – to lead by doing, not just saying. Child.org is an ambitious organisation that thrives on action.
We need someone who will take this on and doesn’t need hand holding through it. Be someone who identifies strengths in their team and empowers them to make it happen.
We need someone who builds great relationships with partners and supporters. The Child.org family is small and strong, built on warm, open relationships and a desire to have an impact.
We need someone who relishes working a room of potential contacts - who comes in prepared, with clear objectives and a targeted list to focus on. You need to be opening doors for the organisation and making connections. You need to hustle.
Everything Child.org does – it tries to be smart and savvy about it. Whether it’s our programming, our fundraising, or the business models that power our enterprise products, we do things with a sharpness and a commercial understanding of how to provide value to everyone involved. You’ll need to bring that kind of value with you. You need to be walking in the door excited about the opportunities you can open up for us.
If making your mark on this sector is important to you, if you’re ready to be part of real change, then give us a call and lets have a chat about how you think you might be able to make that happen.
Our kind of Head of Fundraising & Marketing
- Commitment to our vision and mission
- High emotional intelligence and a high level of self-awareness
- Outstanding communicator, with a natural ability to build rapport, create compelling propositions and influence people at all levels
- Contemporary thinker with the ability to balance strategy with action
- Head for figures and great attention to the nitty-gritty
- Resilient with the ability to keep going and overcome challenges
- Inspirational leader and manage with a natural collaborative style
You'll be really good at
What you’ll do
- Execute and manage a cohesive fundraising strategy to secure significant growth in income in line with the wider organisational strategy
- Drive business improvement and efficiency with existing fundraising income streams
- Day to day leading, managing and supporting the Fundraising & Marketing team, nurturing their potential and passion
- Represent the organisation as an ambassador, a speaker, and attend events
- Seek out and nurture major relationships with supporters and partners
- Maximise our profile and engagement both internally and externally.
- Strengthen relationships and seek opportunities to work collaboratively with the Programming and Enterprise teams to maximise income
- Lead the preparation of the Fundraising & Marketing annual operational plan and budget, achieving all income and expenditure in line with budget and targets
Things we all do
- Attend events as required
- Develop an in-depth understanding of our work
- Do any other reasonable things your manager needs you to do
- Engage with the team, and directly with our supporters
Applying for the role
We’d like you to have as many of these as possible:
- Demonstrable experience of fundraising and management within a social purpose organisation, ideally at a senior level, with the ability to manage a multi- disciplinary team. Particular knowledge of Corporate and Major Donor fundraising is useful
- A strategic line of sight with an acute understanding of different audiences and external environments in which Child.org operates
- Ability to respond in an agile way to a continually evolving environment
- An excellent understanding of commercial business models and how to develop products of value
- First class leadership skills and the ability to motivate and develop a diverse team of staff
- Strong communication skills with the necessary gravitas to influence at the highest levels
- Ability to think creatively and laterally
- Financially fluent with a focus on delivering high income
We’re keen to fill this role as quickly as we can. If you’re interested, please give me, Ellie or Holly a call on the number below for an initial chat.
Why work for Child.org?Be on the cutting edge
Child.org do what works. That means we innovate often and react fast to new information and trends, ensuring we're always doing what will help us have the very best long-term sustainable impact in the lives of the children we're here to support.Feel your impact
Our small team means you'll have a clear insight into everything we do, from designing our website to funding our projects in the field. If you don't like feeling like a small cog in a big machine, Child.org is for you.Develop
The Child.org team make our own opportunities. Child.org is the kind of place where driven employees can go from interning to launching and managing fundraising events worth tens of thousands of pounds, within months. If you're innovative and ambitious, we'll help you bite off more than you think you can chew.Love your job
We love dramatic Spotify work music, animated gif memos and fancy dress Fridays. We love Kinder Surprise meetings and wearing Child.org t-shirts on our days off. We love post-work pina coladas and the sound of rain. We smile when we get to the office in the morning. If you think you might love some or all of these things, you'll love working at Child.org.